Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Food of the Month

Cheese, Cheese, Cheese!

If you're saying to yourself, why cheese? Well, for one, the packers are on a nice winning streak and I'm a proud cheese head and two, because the holidays make me think of delicious cheese dishes and plates.

I started my food of the month off a few days behind but with a great entrance.
Barefoot Contessa's Mac and Cheese
This was a great dish for a Sunday afternoon. I made mine with Trader Joe's organic vegetable radiatore noodles and I split my milk (1/2 skim milk and 1/2 2% lactaid milk). I also used a gruyere/swiss mix instead of straight gruyere cheese and it was delicious. Also, I only had whole wheat bread so I used this to make the bread crumbs. Lastly, and this was my mistake, I added 3/4 Tbsp instead of 1/2 tsp of nutmeg but we all liked it. I think I would do a 1/2 Tbsp if I made it again.
-From a nutrition standpoint for macaroni and cheese I would classify this one in the middle. It's not a low fat recipe but it also isn't an insane recipe with cream and extra pounds of cheese. You could always cut back on how much cheese you add if you want to lighten it up even more.  I found it to be a nice balance that can be paired with some veggies or a side salad to round out the meal.

Another one of my favorite recipes for the holiday season to bring as an appetizer is the Pesto Cheese Blossom from The Food Network.
-To make this healthier I always use fat free cream cheese.  You mix the cream cheese with garlic so it will still have a good flavor. I opt out of adding the pistachios since I'm not a big fan of them but I know others who have made this with them. I've brought this to a work party, friends party and made it for family and everyone loves it. Plus you can make it the day ahead and it's Christmas colors.

It's hard to talk about cheese and not talk about serving sizes. Cheese, in the right portion size is a great source of calcium but it is often over ate. Since it is made from milk it is higher in fat so it's important to note how much you are eating. I would stick to 1- 1.5 ounces per serving. This looks like 6 dice and while that seems like a lot of plain cheese it adds up quickly when cheese is added to things like pizza, nachos, macaroni and cheese, etc...

Another thing to note is some cheese are a little lower in fat than others. For example, feta, provolone, mozzarella and swiss cheese have less natural fat than cheddar and havarti cheese. Another great cheese is Laughing Cow, who make a great portioned swiss cheese with 50 calories per wedge plus a light version that comes in multiple flavors for only 35 calories per wedge. It is a great substitution for cream cheese or to spread on sandwiches. Another way to cut back on the fat in cheese is to choose ones made with 2% milk. They will have less fat without sacrificing taste and texture like some fat free cheeses do.

1 comment:

  1. The Laughing Cow is the UK's most popular cheese triangle and is loved for more than 90 countries worldwide.

    Fashion Accessories

    ReplyDelete